Monday, May 28, 2012

Brown Eurovision

(Cross-posted at Brown Pundits)

The Eurovision Song Contest is where all the nations of Europe celebrate their national pride through a terrible pop song which is almost inevitably in English. It is a particularly bizarre ode to whackness that for some reason people get excited about every year. Not me. But I noted with interest how this year’s contest, held in Azerbaijan, was particularly brownish.

Sweden took the honours with a song by Loreen, a singer with a Moroccan Berber background. At the other end of the popularity scale was Norway’s entrant Tooji, a dude who was born in Iran. I couldn’t tell you exactly what it was that meant Loreen’s song was deemed awesome and Tooji’s was not.

France’s entrant was Anggun, a chanteuse originally from Indonesia. The UK helped Norway bring up the rear, veteran crooner Engelbert Humperdink – born in Madras – failing to inspire the masses. I would have picked Anggun, for reasons of hotness and Indonesian nationalism. I know that has nothing to do with music, but neither does Eurovision.

To be honest, Anggun's song is about as rubbish as every other rubbish song at Eurovision.


However I can overlook that. I've had something of a crush on Anggun since coming across this video. Any woman who can seem sexy while talking about eating offal has to score a 10/10 in my book.

4 comments:

  1. oooooohhhh, chrrriiiiissssss. c'monnnnn. most of them sing real well. but i did wonder about the browning of eurovision. i guess they have lots of immigrants huh. sort of like australian idol not being as white as the soaps on australian tv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey dont forget Gaitana from the Ukraine, she's Congolese descent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok cheers. As I may have indicated, I try not to pay too much attention to Eurovision so I miss some things.

      Delete
  3. The Eurovision song contest is a little strange, but Julia and Sam on SBS make it a lot of fun. Anggun should have done much better than she did. But I was distracted by the leggy entrants from Greece and Cyrpus :P

    ReplyDelete