Thursday, May 13, 2010

Russell Peters in Australia

Comedian Russell Peters is Down Under right now; he hits Melbourne this Friday May 14th, playing the Rod Laver Arena. The 39 year-old Canadian of Anglo-Indian extraction is arguably the world's premier exponent of ethnic humour. Virtually all his jokes are based on ethnic stereotypes, a variety of comedy that is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. Yet despite the potential for offensiveness, Peters manages to pull it off due to his obvious affection for whatever culture he is poking fun at. And it helps that there is some intelligence to his observations; not just the same old "Asians can't drive" and "black men have big willies" gags... although they're certainly in there as well.

Last time Peters toured Australia, I knew of a couple of Malaysian Indians who flew down to Melbourne just to watch him. Not saying he's worth such an extreme level of devotion, but it shows that he's got a serious following.

Below is one of his best-known routines:


More here, here and here.

7 comments:

  1. OMG - Are you going to see him? I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Russell Peters when he visited my hometown. He's hilarious! If you have the chance to see him, please do so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^ I'm sort of on a tightish budget right now, so don't think I'll be seeing him. (Was hoping one of my connected buddies was gonna come through with free tickets, but doesn't look like that's gonna happen.)
    I'm sure I'll be able to catch it on DVD at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like his sex jokes or disability jokes (I can't seem to laugh with him on those), but his race jokes are hilarious.

    I checked ticketmaster, but I can't find him there. I wonder if that means the tix are sold out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooohhhh. i know why. He came and went!! arrrggghhhhh. I missed himmmm. Moral of the story: Read Eurasian Sensation's blog everyday, religiously to keep up to date!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. fromthetropics, you've just learned a valuable life lesson ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is awesome. It has become my daily routine to watch one of his videos on youtube before going to bed.

    ReplyDelete