Friday, April 2, 2010

RIP Undercover Black Man, aka David Mills

Screenwriter and blogger David Mills passed away this Tuesday at the age of 48 of a brain aneurysm, after collapsing on the set of the upcoming HBO series Treme. Mills began as a journalist before his screenwriting career, which earned him an Emmy Award for his work on HBO mini-series The Corner. His CV also includes work on such stellar series as NYPD Blue and The Wire. His excellent blog, Undercover Black Man, covered popular culture with a particular emphasis on funky music and the African-American community.

When I first began blogging, one of the challenges for me was to figure out how my various interests could fit together in one blog and still maintain some level of cohesion. In that sense, Undercover Black Man was something of a role model for me, and I started out as a UBM wannabe. I might not have persevered in the blog game without that inspiration.

May he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment