Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Rest in Peace

With all the tragic events and loss of life that occur around the world daily, it is all easy to become numbed to it, to see death as just another sad news item. And then when it suddenly happens to someone you care about, it is a jolting reminder of the preciousness of the gift of life, and how cruel the twists of fate can be that snatch away those who still have so much more living to do.

I lost someone very important in my life several hours ago - the father of my partner - from an unexpected heart attack, at the age of 54. A man who I had always envisioned would someday become, and who I would have been immensely proud to call, my father-in-law. A man of tremendous charisma and strength of character, with a kind heart, a razor-sharp wit and a wickedly infectious sense of humour. A respected teacher who touched the lives of countless students, and who would have inspired many more in the future. If the measure of a man is to leave the world a better place than when he came in, then Uncle Ananth succeeded beyond measure. For the fond memories I have of him, and for those I would have had, I will miss him dearly.

Anantharajah Kathirasoo
(April 23, 1955 - March 1, 2010)

7 comments:

  1. My condolences. Very sweet of you commemorate him so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry ES. He sounds like a great man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My deepest sympathies to you, ES, and your partner during this time. May you be comforted by your beautiful memories of him. You are in my thoughts. RIP Anantharajah Kathirasoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. he wasn't just a great man, this guy was fucking amazing. gonna miss you uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone. Your comments are greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is really a very good lecturer. Misses him alot since i graduated A-Levels. He taught me in A-levels. RIP, Slim Jim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slim Jim aka Mr A, you gave 'sight' when we were blind, you gave gave us inspiration and aspirations when we were disillusioned. Thank you Mr A for the opportunity and the idealism. You were and always will be a great teacher. Your infectious laughter, wit, brilliance and charisma will be dearly missed to all that have known you. God Bless you and Rest in Peace my Mentor and Guru.

    ReplyDelete