Thursday, January 14, 2010

Listmania: Greatest tracks of the 00s

The noughties (or aughts as I've seen them called) are over, so let me just squeeze in my favourite tracks of the decade.

As musical decades go, it might have been the worst in popular music since the rock n' roll era began. But that doesn't mean we didn't have great music though. It's always out there somewhere, you just need to know where to find it, and it's usually not on the charts. But sometimes it is, and the fact that 4 of my top 6 were serious worldwide chart hits, is a great thing in showing that the divide between quality and popular is not always so great. Either that or I'm just a commercial-ass douche.

One notable positive was rock bands remembering that rock n' roll was originally created for dancing and didn't have to be all doom and gloom. Add that to songs like "Hey Ya" and "Crazy", and we had ample opportunity to shake it loose, yet keep street credibility intact. Other trends include the fascination with appropriating South Asian and Middle-Eastern music in pop and hip-hop (see here, here and here). And it was also the decade that vintage soul made a serious comeback. Strangely, it was mostly being performed by white people.

It's hardly an exhausive list, but these are the ones that spring to mind. Feel free to let me know what you think I have missed. I've embedded a few, particularly the ones you might not know.

1. Gnarls Barkley - "Crazy"
2. The Strokes - "Last Night"
3. Alicia Keys - "If I Ain't Got You"
4. Nickodemus featuring Quantic - "Mi Swing Es Tropical"

5. Cody Chestnutt - "I Look Good in Leather"

6. Outkast - "Hey Ya"
7. The Rapture - Get Myself Into It

8. The Strokes - "Someday"

9. Rufus Wainwright - "Going to a Town"

10. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings featuring Lee Fields - "Stranded in Your Love"

11. Doves - "The Cedar Room"

12. Mayer Hawthorne and the County - "Just Ain't Gonna Work Out"

13. John Legend - "She Don't Have to Know"

14. System of a Down - "Chop Suey!"
15. Common featuring Dwele - "The People"
16. Ed Harcourt - "She Fell Into My Arms"

17. Coldplay - "Shiver"
18. Badly Drawn Boy - "Silent Sigh"
19. Cinematic Orchestra featuring Roots Manuva - "All things to all men"

20. Coldplay - "The Scientist"
21. Jet - "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"
22. Roots Manuva - "Witness (1 Hope)"

23. Avalanches - "Since I left you"
24. Weezer - "Island in the Sun"
25. Ash - "Sometimes"

26. Arctic Monkeys - "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor"
27. Keane - "Somewhere Only We Know"
28. Mark Ronson featuring Ghostafe Killah and Nate Dogg - "Ooh Wee"

29. Dizzee Rascal featuring Calvin Harris and Chrome - "Dance Wiv Me"
30. The Coral - "Dreaming of You"


Sure, you may disagree, but my opinion is better than yours, so what are you gonna do about it?

Also see here: My favourite movies of the decade.

1 comment:

  1. ROOOOTS MANUVA. cant wait to check his live show out in London at the Red Bull Music Academy event...some big names playing http://bit.ly/8Q0f3U

    ReplyDelete