Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Indomie is healthy... for real?


Scored a good deal on a box of 40 packets of Indomie's instant mie goreng for only $9 recently. Yes, my life is probably a bit sad if that's the kind of thing that gets me excited, but hey, I'll take what ever joy I can get.

If you're not familiar with Indomie, it is the Rolls Royce of instant noodles. Whereas the average packet noodle comes with a paltry single sachet of seasoning powder, Indomie takes a more-is-more approach to flavouring. Alongside the sachet of MSG-laden seasoning powder, comes sachets of chili sauce, sweet soya sauce, fried shallots and some tasty oily substance. Beloved of university students all over the globe, it has made its parent company Indofood Sukses Makmur the world's largest instant noodle manufacturer.

But the thing that caught my eye is this label on the box, bearing some bold claims:

For the non-Indonesian-speaking among you, that says "Enriched with VITAMINS (A, B1, B6, B12, Niacin, Folic Acid) & MINERALS (iron)."

Serious? So, not only is Indomie tasty and pleasingly greasy, but its also good for you. A product that mostly consists of flour, palm oil and MSG, is somehow healthy and nutritious. Believe that if you wish. It reminds me of the ad that extolled the calcium-rich virtues of Coco-Pops.

In any case, it's still going to be one of my standby foods for those "really can't be bothered cooking right now" moods. But I'm not sure how convinced I'll be that the oily, artificially-flavoured spicy starch I'm ingesting is actually doing me any good.

2 comments:

  1. *wonders if students can live off Indomie indefinitely*

    They should totally do a Indomie Me documentary. 30 days of straight Indomie and a health check at the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ I don't think that person would last 30 days.

    Although there are students I know who very nearly do have that diet.

    ReplyDelete