Monday, November 9, 2009

Asians and their love of spitting

"While many Western cultures consider phlegm to be an unpleasant substance, to be hidden shamefully in a handkerchief, Asians regard phlegm’s rightful place as being on the ground, preferrably where someone will step in it.

Asians who have grown up in the West do not always adopt this charming habit, presumably aware that non-Asians consider it quite unsavory. Yet the steady stream of fresh-off-the-boat immigrants and exchange students from the motherland ensure that Western sidewalks, roads and other walking surfaces do not miss out on the Asian loogie treatment."


...that is from a piece I wrote which is being featured at the Stuff Asian People Like website. You can read the whole post here.

3 comments:

  1. When I was a teenager I learnt how to spit from watching Goran Ivanisevic play tennis. He used to spit between serves quite a bit. I mean he was famous for spitting the dummy, but he also literally spat a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^ I learned from my friends as a teenager. They used to spit a lot, and they were mostly non-Asian. But they were teenagers, and I'm sure they don't do it anymore. The guy I saw in Shenzhen blowing his nose on the ground a mere 2 metres away from me was at least 30.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 復活、スタービーチ!日本最大の友達探しサイトがついに復活、進化を遂げた新生スタビをやってみませんか?理想のパートナー探しの手助け、合コンパーティー等も随時開催しています。楽しかった頃のスタビを体験しよう

    ReplyDelete