Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Let's play Spot the Sample: Lata Mangeshkar - "Tere Mere Beech Mein"

There was a time a few years back when US pop and hip-hop producers decided that Indian filmic music was the exciting new thing to sample. (If you don't like it, I blame Timbaland.)

So have a listen to this song, and see if you can pick which relatively recent massive pop hit samples it. I'll tell you now, it's not that easy. I'll answer it in the comments section.



Struggling? Ok, here's a clue - the key section is around the 26-second mark of the video.


See also:

Spot the sample: Jackie Mittoo - "Free Soul"

Mainstream hip-hop's Bollywood flirtations

From Bollywood to black America and back - the evolution of a sample

Tajik Jimmy. This guy is freakin' amazing

Nigerian dudes sing Bollywood

3 comments:

  1. How'd you go?

    The answer is... *drum roll*

    "Toxic" by Britney Spears

    Can you hear it now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, you gave it away already? I was gonna guess "something by Britney," but I'll admit I didn't know which song.

    Good catch, glad you pointed it out.

    "Cultural appropriation"/theft ahoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^ "cultural appropriation"?

    Well, as long as proper royalties were paid, I don't really have a problem with it. Sampling is ok by me as long as it is done in a creative way. And while I don't like "Toxic" at all, I would still acknowledge that way the sample has been used is quite clever.

    ReplyDelete