Sunday, March 15, 2009

Taiwan's poo-themed restaurants



Article in TIME recently about the chain of Modern Toilet restaurants that began in Taiwan and are soon opening up in China, Malaysia and elsewhere. Diners sit on toilet seats at the dinner table, eat from hot pots that look like toilets, and consume soft-serve icecreams that deliberately look like turds, and shaved-ice desserts with names like "bloody poop" (strawberry flavour) and "green dysentery" (kiwi fruit).

One diner thinks that the Chinese can accept this dining experience since they are more comfortable with their bodily functions than Westerners - and judging by the amount of public spitting, burping and other charming forms of bodily expression that goes on in that part of the world, I'm inclined to agree.

Personally, I was okay with all the poo references, but the idea of something called "bloody poop" is just a step too far for me. Excreta is vile enough, but I can deal with that - add blood to the equation and the image in my mind is insurmountable, I'm afraid. I'll still go there one day, though.


You can visit the restaurant's website here.

1 comment: