Friday, January 9, 2009

Things you have to eat in Melbourne: Gelatello



Pictured: Gelatello's eponymous gelato variety, and the alfajores biscuits that lift it to higher planes of caramel heaven. (Oh, and I know the icecream from this angle looks kinda like something you'd create on the pavement after a drunken night out, but ignore that)






If you want friendly and helpful service, the Argentinean-style gelato bar Gelatello in Chapel Street may not be the place to go, but ignore that and focus on trying the house specialty - the icecream that shares its name with the venue. You've had cookies & cream flavoured icecream, right? I was eating cookies & cream icecream the other night and reflected on what a great flavour it is. Well, the Gelatello flavour at Gelatello gelato bar (I hope this is not too confusing) is like next-level cookies & cream. Like cookies & cream to the nth @#$%ing degree, baby! My favourite of all the icecreams I have ever tried. Ever. For ever ever.

They start with a base of dulce de leche (South American milk caramel) flavoured icecream. Which is pretty damn good in itself (I'm a sucker for all things caramel). To that, they add crushed alfajores biscuits. Alfajores are no ordinary cookie however - they contain a layer of gooey dulce de leche caramel and are coated in chocolate. So a mouthful of the icecream is a riot of the milk-caramel base, biscuity crunch, hints of chocolate and the occasional gooey caramel fudge explosion.

In other words, a caramel-lover's wet dream. There other varieties of gelato are nice, I'm sure, but I don't care about that so much; I may never need another icecream flavour again.

Gelatello, 166 Chapel Street, Windsor.

No comments:

Post a Comment