Sunday, October 26, 2008

McCain - "I hate the gooks"

I stated in an earlier post about race in the US Presidential campaign that although the Right was guilty of fomenting anti-black, anti-Muslim and anti-foreigner sentiments, I did not believe John McCain himself was racist. He has an adopted Bangladeshi daughter, for example.
Well, I stand corrected. McCain apparently commented to a reporter on the campaign trail in 2000 that "I hate the gooks. I will hate them as long as I live." You can read more about that here.

I know McCain was captured by the North Vietnamese and suffered torture at their hands, but really, if that quote is correct, is this the sort of attitude we want from a leader of the free world?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, he lives in the free world so he has a right to feel that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous, no question there, McCain has the right to hate anyone he wants. Everyone has their own prejudices; that's part of being human. But the real point is that as US President and the most powerful man in the world, McCain would have to deal with Vietnam and other Asian countries. Does this hatred not compromise his ability as a leader? I have no real problem with someone who secretly harbours enmity to Asians, blacks or whatever. But once that person is an position of power and starts making racist comments to journalists, he starts to look less and less fit to be a world leader.

    ReplyDelete