Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Hong Kong Rugby 7s - A Photo Essay

I ain't no rugby fan, but spending a day at HK Rugby 7s was possibly the first step towards changing my opinion of this game. Great skill and entertainment on the field, with the underdogs given a good chance, but most of the action is off the field. Basically it was one big party, and if you are lucky enough to know people who know people, as I do, you can get a lot of stuff for free - entry, beer, food, corporate t-shirts. Some people got even further into the spirit of the occasion with all manner of outlandish costumes. The aftermath - armies of drunken and elaborately dressed fans descending on the streets of Hong Kong Island - was obviously a shock to some of the passing locals.

Go Kenya! Maybe its just me, but they don't seem to make the fearless Masai warriors like they used to...



Me and Andi, having just entered the stadium. Within a few hours, Andi will earn himself the nicknames "Chucka" and the more imaginative "Chucka Khan". No prizes for guessing why.


Coke Sponsorship! I've finally sold out to Tha Man. Dunno why I did this...



...ah, maybe that's why...








Me, Andi, Ava & Carissa. Wearing some free stuff. In about 20 minutes time Andi will be reborn as "Chucka".



Sharon and Helen. The dangers of alcohol - a lesson for the kids out there.






Does a crown count as Bling? Here I am with Bernard, who is Helen's brother. Bernard was the mastermind behind our foray into the corporate boxes and free stuff at Rugby 7s. Respect!












Andi and I, er, "trying on outfits" acquired from Rugby 7s. If we come out of the closet in years to come, don't say you didn't see the signs. For the life of me I can't quite remember why we were doing this, but there must have been a good reason for it at the time...

1 comment: